3/4/08

A doctor's appointment and a book

We have made it through an afternoon at the doctor's office. No shots (only because I promised him) and not too much of an aggravation.

We love Andrew's pediatrician. He is truly wonderful and Andrew wouldn't be where he is today without him. Unfortunately (or fortunately as the case may be), he is wonderful with all his patients...that means we usually wait for a very long time. This time we waited for over an hour to be seen.

He checked Andrew over and thinks he is doing well. He would like him to be seen by a neurologist in Manchester (part of Dartmouth Hitchcock). I understand it and will certainly bring him over but those of you that have known Andrew his life, you know, I am tired of driving him halfway across the world just to get no more answers than we had to start with. I am tired of getting my hopes up (again) that someone will give us a good answer. But what else can I do? It is my job to protect him as best I can and that means going to see ANOTHER doctor...I will update when we see them (I am sure that will be at least a couple months).

During the wait I was lucky enough to be able to read a bit in my latest book: The Poisonwood Bible. I have read this book before but it was forever ago. Recently a fellow blogger and I were discussing it and I decided that I should read it again - there was so much I had forgotten. I truly do love this book. It inspires me to learn more about Africa, the Congo and its people.

As I mentioned previously, I finished The Time Traveler's Wife during our illness.

What can I say about this book? Well, for starters, it was LONG, over 500 pages. Long usually isn't a big deal for me but the beginning was confusing and I couldn't see how the story was going to work so I got frustrated. (I'm kind of a instant gratification girl...) However, I ran out of books from the library and decided I would give it another shot. I am glad I did.

The back of the book reads: "To those that say there are no new love stories, I heartily recommend The Time Traveler's Wife..." Most of you know that I am not big on love stories, but I was desperate for a book.

I think I have realized that the reason I dislike so many love stories is because they are all so similar. In the beginning you can often guess how it is going to end. They are also overly sappy. This book is none of those things.

It is about, exactly as the name suggests, a time traveler's wife. This is not science fiction and seems entirely reasonable while you read it. It is inventive, original, powerful and, yes, romantic (but not that sappy, make you want to puke, romantic). I am glad that I hung in there and read it. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in an imaginative read.

Two blogs in one day...I'm catching up, I guess :)

3 comments:

Jessi said...

I think you should bring him to Dartmouth... I can imagine that getting the same experience every time is frustrating... but keep on keeping on.

I'm sorry you aren't getting any answers, and little Andrew isn't feeling well.

Crazy Momma said...

We will go. If for no other reason then to get our feet in the door so if things do get worse we can call and get in in a second.

Sometimes Sophia said...

I love those little time outs when you can read without feeling like you should be doing something else. Doctor's office or pre-dawn (when it's too early to start banging pots and pans or fire up the snow-thrower) work great for me! Eat, Pray, Love is a terrific memoir...