9/30/10

The Potty Wars

I thought I was done.  After 9 1/2 years of changing diapers I really thought I would be rid of them, at least until Kirby gets old and gray (and, let's face it, next year he turns 40...it will happen sooner rather than later).  But then, we had the opportunity to welcome Little Miss into our lives. 

We are blessed.  And we are, again, potty training.

In July came the underwear and the temper tantrums.  I really thought Andrew was awful but at least I knew that he wasn't capable.  Charity IS capable she just doesn't want to.  I have been told boys are easier to train than girls.  I beg to differ.

Yes, she has had an "interesting" 2 1/2 years.  Yes, she has had very little stability in her life.  Yes, she has dealt with more than any 2 1/2 year old should have in her short little life.  And, yes, she is as stubborn as a mule.

Me: Do you have to go potty (as I watch her holding herself)?
C: Nooooooooo!
Me: I think you should try.
C: NEVA' EVA'!
Me: Go potty right now.
C: Nooooo!  I neva' eva' go potty again.
Me: Hey, Drama, go potty right now!
C: (she sighs, throws her hand to her forehead, and stomps to the bathroom....) I not go potty again!

Since July we have done this.  And, honestly, she is getting better.  It has been a few weeks since we have had any accidents while wearing "undies".  She still wears diapers for nap time and still wears diapers at night.  Which means, I clean up a dirty diaper twice a day.

Me: Charity, do you have anything in your diaper?
C: Nooooooo, I go on da potty.
Me: Let me check.  Charity!  You need to be changed!  Why?
C: I go on da potty?

Sigh.  The year long break from diapers was nice.  But I am beginning to feel that I am destined to change diapers "foa-eva'".  'Cause you know, as soon as she is completely trained, Kirby will be old enough to need help...

No comments: