10/29/09

Darkness

"It's always darkest before the dawn."

I have always been afraid of the dark. I honestly can't tell you why.

About a year ago I started walking home from work on regular occasion. I usually work afternoons and evenings and it is not uncommon to leave my office after 8 or 9pm to make the mile trek home. Of course, it's dark....

Sometime in that year I have gotten over my fear - for the most part. Even after the horrendous murder in our town in May I was not scared (call me crazy, but I refuse to live in fear in my own town).

Don't walk behind me up a dark staircase. Don't make spooky noises while I am walking through the dark house. It's not funny, I'm still scared. But, I am better...

This morning I got up around 5:15am and was out of the house and walking by 5:30. It was pitch black. So dark that even with the headlamp on my head I couldn't see the ground underneath my feet at some points in time. So dark that while I was running home I was terrified I was going to trip and fall because I couldn't see the sidewalk under my feet.

An hour later when I got home it was still dark and there was no sign of the sun even. The sky was starting to show a little blue and not so much black...but no sun. And the biggest fear I had was of falling.

Progress, not perfection.

And to top it all off, my great morning that started with a 5K, ended with dropping my children off at school was also met by an angel by the name of Bill.

Bill is an older gentleman who lives in town. I met him when he was doing some contracting work on our neighbor's home. I don't see him often but I was graced with his presence this morning as we left Dunkin Donuts (for Andrew's daily visit with his friends).

As we crossed paths Bill looked me up and down and said, "Have you lost weight?! You look great!"

I love that man.

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars."

No comments: